Skip to main content

Drivers’ Licences – Motorcycles

Anyone interested in driving a motorcycle, scooter, moped, or motor tricycle must apply for a Class M licence and participate in the graduated licensing program.

Class M Licences

There are several types of licences for driving Class M vehicles:

  • Class M1: Level 1 of graduated licensing for motorcycles, including limited-speed motorcycles (motor scooters) and motor-assisted bicycles (mopeds).
  • Class M2: Level 2 of graduated licensing for motorcycles, including limited-speed motorcycles (motor scooters) and motor-assisted bicycles (mopeds). Holders may also drive a Class G vehicle under the conditions that apply to a Class G1 licence holder.
  • Class M, M1, or M2 with condition L (LSM/moped): Limited-speed motorcycles (LSM) or mopeds only. Limited-speed motorcycles are motorcycles with a maximum speed of 70 km/hr. If manufactured after 1988, they are identified by a label on the vehicle that indicates it to be a “LSM/MVL.” For a full description, visit MTO’s website at
  • Class M, M1, or M2 with condition 1 (motor tricycle): Motor tricycles (three-wheeled motorcycles) only. These vehicles travel on three wheels, have straddled seating, use a handle bar for steering, carry no more than 4 passengers, and have a gross vehicle weight of 1,000 kg or less. Some vehicles with three wheels, because of the close spacing of its front wheels, are considered to be a two-wheeled open motorcycle by Transport Canada. If you take a road test with one of these vehicles, you can get a full, rather than limited, M class driver’s licence.
  • If you hold a full class A, B, C, D, E, F or G driver’s licence, and you successfully complete an approved accelerated three-wheeled motorcycle safety course:  You can upgrade to a Class M(M) licence at any DriveTest Centre or Travel Point location. In that case, all mandatory wait times are waived and you are not required to complete knowledge test or road tests at a DriveTest Centre in order to upgrade to a Class M(M) licence.

Class M Requirements for New Drivers

In Ontario, driving is a privilege that must be earned. An applicant for a Class M licence must:

  • Be at least 16 years old at the time of application.
  • Meet the vision standards established by the Ministry of Transportation (MTO).
  • Pass a knowledge test of traffic signs, knowledge of motorcycles, and the rules of the road.
  • Pass two road tests (M2 and M) to become fully licensed.

Process for Obtaining a Class M1, Class M2, and Then a Full Class M Licence

As a new motorcycle driver, you must follow the graduated licensing program and gain experience over time.

Graduated licensing for Class M differs from graduated licensing for Class G. Even an experienced driver already holding a full Ontario licence (i.e., for a Class G or commercial vehicle) must complete all the graduated licensing steps for Class M. For most people, the graduated licensing program for Class M takes approximately 20 months.

Driver examiner checking motorcycle turn signals

A newcomer to Ontario who holds a driver’s licence from another province or country must apply for an Ontario driver’s licence within 60 days of moving to the province. Holders of motorcycle licences from reciprocating jurisdictions (i.e., other Canadian provinces, the United States, Switzerland, Australia, Northern Ireland, and Canadian Forces Europe) with at least two years of driving experience in that jurisdiction may be eligible for a full licence exchange. Licence holders from these jurisdictions with less than two years of experience may be eligible to start at the M2 level. Visit a DriveTest Centre for full details.

The process for obtaining a new, full Class M licence at a DriveTest Centre, including the graduated licensing steps, is as follows. Please note that some motorcycle safety training schools are authorized by the MTO to conduct driver-related tests; some of these steps may not apply if you choose to take a motorcycle course.

  1. Study for the written knowledge test.
    As a driver of one of the smallest vehicles on the road, you must study and practice to learn to ride carefully and safely.Used together, Ontario’s Official MTO Driver’s Handbook and Official MTO Motorcycle Handbook are great resources. MTO encourages new motorcycle and moped drivers, and those who wish to improve their skills, to take a motorcycle safety course. For information about motorcycle safety training, or a course being conducted near you, contact your local community college or view the list on the MTO website.
  2. Apply for a driver’s licence at a DriveTest Centre.
    At the DriveTest Centre, you will be required to present an acceptable ID and complete several forms at the time of your application.
  3. Take a vision test at the DriveTest Centre.
    The test takes only a few minutes and is completed by a customer service agent when you apply. Bring your corrective lenses with you to the DriveTest Centre, if required.
  4. Pay the applicable fees at a DriveTest Centre.
    Fees are set by the MTO and are subject to change. Fees can be paid by cash, credit card (VISA, MasterCard), debit card, certified business cheque, certified personal cheque, bank draft or money order (each made payable to Serco Canada Inc.), or traveller’s cheque (Canadian or American).Please note that, if required, retests and subsequent attempts will incur additional charges.
  5. Complete and pass a written knowledge test at a DriveTest Centre.
    The knowledge test takes approximately 30 minutes. There is no appointment required. Knowledge tests are available on a first-come-first-served basis. To allow sufficient time, it is highly recommended that you arrive at least one hour or more prior to office close, especially on Saturdays and school holidays. If you are unsuccessful in your knowledge test, you may pay the fee and take the test again.
  6. Obtain your temporary driver’s licence from a customer service agent at a DriveTest Centre.
    The temporary licence enables you to drive and is valid for 90 days. You will not receive a new permanent driver’s licence in the mail because the Class M1 licence is valid for only 90 days. Once you are successful with your Class M2 road test, you will be issued a new permanent driver’s licence denoting the M2 class.
  7. Practise, practise, practise your driving with your Class M1 licence.
    The Class M1 licence is the first of two graduated licensing learning levels prior to getting a full Class M licence. By law, when you have an M1 licence, you must:
    • Maintain a zero-blood-alcohol level.
    • Ride only during daylight hours (1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset).
    • Wear an approved helmet.
    • Not drive on roads with speed limits over 80 km/hour — except highways 11, 17, 61, 69, 71, 101, 102, 144, and 655.
    • Always drive alone — you may not carry passengers.
  8. Book a road test and then take your Class M2 road test.
    Eligible driver’s licence applicants can book a road test appointment online, over the phone, or in person. If required, please see the Online Road Test Booking Application Instructions page for step-by-step help in making bookings using this website.For the Class M2 road test, a driver examiner at a DriveTest Centre will assess basic driving skills. You must have at least 60 days of experience with your M1 licence before taking your test.If you are successful, you will be issued a temporary driver’s licence and will receive an updated licence photo card in the mail to replace your current licence card and denote the Class M2 achievement.If you are unsuccessful, you can book a new M2 road test appointment if your temporary driver’s licence is still valid. If your temporary driver’s licence has expired, you may be able to get a one-day temporary driver’s licence for the purpose of taking the test if you book a road test prior to your temporary licence expiring.
  9. Practise, practise, practise your driving with your Class M2 licence.
    With a Class M2 licence, you must maintain a zero-blood-alcohol level and wear a helmet, but you can now drive at night and on any road.If you complete a government-approved motorcycle safety course, you can take your Class M road test after approximately 18 months (550 days). If you do not finish one of these courses, you must practise with your M2 for at least 22 months.
  10. Book a road test and then take your Class M road test.
    For the Class M road test, a driver examiner at a DriveTest Centre will assess more advanced driving skills. If you are successful, you will be issued another temporary driver’s licence and will receive a full Class M licence photo card in the mail. If you are unsuccessful, you can try the road test again (some conditions apply).
  11. Enjoy your Class M licence. Drive safely.